1993-04-17 - 1984 deja vu

Header Data

From: Arthur Abraham <a2@well.sf.ca.us>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4ff9f43f559d28b639a1ab37fb913a43cc2e38d03adb604221f1d4755bb050a1
Message ID: <199304170320.AA14330@well.sf.ca.us>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Apr 93 20:21:03 PDT

Raw message

From: Arthur Abraham <a2@well.sf.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 93 20:21:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: 1984 deja vu

If you haven't heard about John Markoff's article yet, it'
cause you've been spending all your time reading Cypherpunks
instead of the front page of the Friday NY Times... read it
now.

There's an awful lot to be said about this article, mostly we
know what it is, and mostly we agree about it.  This a major
social issue that must be corrected, so here's my proposal:

==> DON'T POST ANYTHING ABOUT THE MARFKOFF ARTICLE.  <==

We shouldn't waste time writing each other letters that we'll
learn nothing by reading.  We should spend that same time
writing to newspapers, congress people, phone companies,
Clinton, Gore, and anybody else who thinks they can get away
with this because they feel the citizenry either doesn't care
about or doesn't understand the issues.

What I want to see in re this issue on this list is something
I don't already know, like the name and address of AT&T's
president's secretary -- s/he'll complain to the prez if
enough privacy mail arrives.

Be imaginative, be active, rattle cages, but telling me how
pissed you are won't change a thing, except to decrease the
time we're both spending on doing something effective.

Be effective.

Please.

-a2.

Thread