1993-04-21 - cypherpunks vs. cryptoprivacy

Header Data

From: ggoebel@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Garrett Goebel)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9e614befebf9da93d267775d6a13f1b0e826b0c05e3dcbfa5fb22ef97bcd62f4
Message ID: <9304210921.AA17398@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de>
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Apr 93 02:21:35 PDT

Raw message

From: ggoebel@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Garrett Goebel)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 93 02:21:35 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: cypherpunks vs. cryptoprivacy

All,

Kragen writes:
} I agree with those who think that "CypherPunks" is a bad name for the list.
} It brings up negative associations in the minds of outsiders, who are, after
} all, the people who we want to influence against the Big Brother wiretap chip
Is anyone against changing the name from cypherpunks to cryptoprivacy?

Seems to be the general consensus... that cryptoprivacy would be more PC.
Unoriginal Thought:  couldn't the list/group name be changed to "CP"?

o  For outsiders, and formally, it could stand for CryptoPrivacy
o  To insiders... it could still stand for CypherPunks
o  CP is the opposite of PC (I like that).

back to lurking,
Garrett

--
C. Garrett Goebel