1993-04-16 - Re: Mailing list name

Header Data

From: treason@gnu.ai.mit.edu
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Message Hash: a3d0bff1a84086eb3784974c6afeef330e3db570f8d1dc8ce74ac516348bbe65
Message ID: <9304162031.AA05882@spiff.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Reply To: <9304161946.AA27724@snark.shearson.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-16 20:31:36 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Apr 93 13:31:36 PDT

Raw message

From: treason@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 93 13:31:36 PDT
To: pmetzger@lehman.com

> In the light of recent developments concerning government cryptography
> initiatives, we might soon find ourselves innundated by working press.
>
> Given this, I think that the name "cypherpunks" produces the wrong
> connotations -- it makes us sound like criminals when we are in fact
> people who are interested in expanding personal privacy with
> technology. Often, little things like this end up being of tremendous
> importance in the long haul.
>
> I would propose changing the name of the mailing list to
> "cryptoprivacy" or something similar. It denotes what we are about in
> a way that mundane people understand better, and it portrays us in the
> proper light -- as people struggling to improve the prospects for
> personal freedom, not a bunch of "punks".
>
> Perry

I agree wholeheartedly, and I think I have the experience to say so.  You
wouldn't believe how much importance people and groups put on names.  Even
though I have not, nor ever intend to commit the act described by my name,
people still look at me with a leery eye.  Becase I am

treason@gnu

Thread