1993-04-13 - FWEE!: kiosks

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b448291f19ad2fa761d0160a4899b2b2b3662197ff3a156148a18b966a808a64
Message ID: <9304131512.AA13719@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <9304130636.AA27437@servo>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-13 15:15:58 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Apr 93 08:15:58 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 93 08:15:58 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: FWEE!: kiosks

>The whistleblower creates his file in the privacy
>of his own home on a floppy disk, encrypts it in the public key of
>the whistleblowing system, and carries it to a public kiosk where he
>sends it.

This is the ideal scenario.  I suspect that kiosks for other purposes
will eventually contain some form of user-available I/O.  I'm guessing
it will be infrared, maybe rs232 serial.  Diskette drives are too
vulnerable and expensive to be feasible in a pay phone environment;
they're called armor phones, and for good reason.  In particular,
sfnet doesn't have diskette access.

No bother, we're not going to create the best system on the first
revision.  A good enough system will drive later systems.

Eric

Thread