1993-04-29 - Re: Raving on…

Header Data

From: dionf@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Francois Dion)
To: geoffw@nexsys.net (Geoff White)
Message Hash: c2ef3850e75cff121993b8a89fb66c11ebdd80648c09b4e02f2c62dcc26f5595
Message ID: <9304291548.AA08102@brise.ERE.UMontreal.CA>
Reply To: <9304291447.AA06514@nexsys.nexsys.net>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-29 15:49:59 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 08:49:59 PDT

Raw message

From: dionf@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Francois Dion)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 08:49:59 PDT
To: geoffw@nexsys.net (Geoff White)
Subject: Re: Raving on...

Beyond the ultraworld of Geoff White:

> 	I tend to agree with this guy, tread very carefully,
> 	we want to inform NOT proslitize.  Ravers will get turned off real
> 	quick if you come on  as something they MUST do.

It must be homogenous with the rave. For example, in the chillout room, you
put a mind machine, a vrave connection, an electronic LED race (it's way
cool to either create or modify handheld games into huge "techno" games),
and finally several PCs, modified as "rave machines(tm)" :) with some people
to explain how to get the keys, how to exchange them, what you can do with it,
and emphasize the cool side...

> 	information, answer questions and most of all be considerate
> 	of the fact that many people DONT know about the net or e-mail

The majority or ravers in Montreal know about raves thru my radio show, Raving
Up North (emaill list) or my interactive phone line. I regularly talk about
the net, internet issues, etc... (been doing that for 2 years) so most people
know what the net is really about and they send lots of mail when the written
press around here screw up). Another point, i'll be doing a rave on may 8th
and the ravers have dubbed it the cyberpunk rave, even if it's called
Rave en couleur...

>	You might
> 	want to find someone who is heavy into the Scene to go with you
> 	the first couple of times, to smooth the acceptance factor.

Definitely. The scene needs some dominant figures.

> 	Currently I'm way to busy with other aspects of the Scene to
> 	do this, you might want to contact some people on:
>
> 	sfraves@soda.berkeley.edu
>
> 	who regularly deploy VRAVE (an IRC like program for the international
> 	rave community) at raves in the Bay Area.

Vrave is used in the east coast too. Twould be really cool if some rave from
the west coast be connected may 8th... i'll probably have 2 lines here.

> 	 know they are working
> 	on getting the average raver signed onto e-mail.

As most people who are heavily "connected". There is an article in the may/june
issue of wired about a guy called cursor cowboy who wants to connect everybody
he meets. Speaking of wired, i've read the article on crypto rebels aka
cypherpunks. What do you think? Please respond to me since i am not on
cypherpunks anymore because the traffic was too heavy and religious when i was
on.

Ciao,
--
Francois Dion