1993-04-13 - how secure is secring.pgp?

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e406ed394cfc1ed6cb6de81616589fd2eb3ceec98edbf7d3a878e169e1a32196
Message ID: <9304131538.AA14939@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <9304130236.AA01768@hodge>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-13 15:41:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Apr 93 08:41:42 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 93 08:41:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: how secure is secring.pgp?

I've-forgotten-who writes:
>> Since we need a passphrase to access our secret key, it is
>> reasonable to think that our secring.pgp file is pretty secure, as
>> long as our passphrase is notrivial.  What am I missing here?

There are two security items here.  The first is that the secret RSA
key nott be revealed.  The second is that the name attached to that
key pair not be revealed.

Derek writes:
>The secret key on the secring.pgp is IDEA-encrypted... So, it is only
>as strong as IDEA, and your passphrase.

This protection applies to the first criterion--your secret key is not
revealed.  No one can steal your key and impersonate you.

The second datum, name attached to a key, is protected only by one's
sole possession of the secring.pgp file.  If you are using a
pseudonym, and using an RSA signature to enforce it, and doing thing
with this pseudonym that you don't want identified with you, then
you'd better make sure that secring.pgp file is not discovered on your
machine.  The format of the keyring file is such that the name
attached to a key is in the clear.

This is really a huge hole.  Since secret keys are presumed to be in
the possession of only those who actually use the keys, possession of
a secret key on the secring.pgp is tantamount to proof that you are
that pseudonym.

In short: everything about a secret key ring should be encrypted.

A parallel (not as consequential): everything about a public key ring
should be encrypted.

Eric

Thread