1993-05-24 - Caller ID Question

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 114a287898a02df8f5a9b534976cf44cc7f52a0e4a00f8787c73fd58cc3adcad
Message ID: <9305241813.AA17842@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <mec34B2w165w@mindvox.phantom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-24 18:17:32 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 24 May 93 11:17:32 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 May 93 11:17:32 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Caller ID Question

>I know Caller ID for the common man didn't go through here in Cal.,
>despite the fact we have call return.

This is the distinction.  The underlying hardware and switching
protocols all have the capability for calling-number identification,
but the PUC didn't allow the consumer service "Caller-ID" to exist.
As a result, Pac Bell now offers services which use it in indirect
ways.  Not only do we have Call Return, but also Call Screen, Priority
Ringing, Select Call Forwarding, and Call Trace.

I just spoke to the business office and Caller-ID is not available
even on their business lines, not even the Pac Bell 800 offerings.

It looks like the only way to do this is to get 800 service from
another carrier.  Even then, I'm not sure that intra-California
service will be available.

Eric

Thread