1993-05-18 - GCHQ in the UK

Header Data

From: AOLCHTNN@vax1.tcd.ie
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 22d80d3f6e89af3bcbae6a8976c6bd7a82f1c91e22f8ecb60758887697c8b471
Message ID: <01GYBP23B51G0026OX@vax1.tcd.ie>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 May 93 06:51:32 PDT

Raw message

From: AOLCHTNN@vax1.tcd.ie
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 06:51:32 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: GCHQ in the UK

Can someone tell me whether what I've heard about GCHQ in the UK??

A lot of books and magazines of fairly serious political content have alleged
that GCHQ taps _all_ Irish telephone calls and screens them electronically for
"keywords", to find the interesting conversations.
(The IRA is alleged to have something similar, although not quite so
sophisticated)

What I want to know is whether digital voice-recognition monitoring on such a
scale is really possible?

Thanx in advance

Antoin O Lachtnain,
Trinity College Dublin.

PS Iis there anyone in the UK or Ireland who'd be willing to send me a copy of
PGP 2.2, if I send them a couple o' blank disks?

AOL

Thread