1993-05-27 - Re: VinCrypt

Header Data

From: “Ian S. Nelson” <ian@bvsd.Co.EDU>
To: clark@metal.psu.edu (Clark Reynard)
Message Hash: 2e37ac7675911b50fcaf00ad8f2c8db3c4a171940ea9b5d49c4d4bacd1db95e3
Message ID: <199305271953.AA13069@bvsd.Co.EDU>
Reply To: <9305270043.AA02074@metal.psu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-27 19:53:57 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 27 May 93 12:53:57 PDT

Raw message

From: "Ian S. Nelson" <ian@bvsd.Co.EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 12:53:57 PDT
To: clark@metal.psu.edu (Clark Reynard)
Subject: Re: VinCrypt

> Even as a former 'hacker' myself, the second to last person I would
> trust not to install a backdoor (next to the NSA) is a hacker.
>
> In addition, merely having been a systems hacker hardly qualifies
> one for writing complex crypto software.  Without any assurance as
> to the authors' qualifications for writing a crypto package, or
> their integrity.  Even if I could trust their integrity, I'm very
> leery of black-box software.

I think the line about "not trusting DES or RSA because those algorithms have
been given to the NSA"  about says it all.

--
Ian S. Nelson			I speak for only myself.
Finger for my PGP key.

Thread