1993-05-26 - Re: Just the facts, ma’am.

Header Data

From: composer@Beyond.Dreams.ORG (Jeff Kellem)
To: Bob Stratton <strat@intercon.com>
Message Hash: 38f3f843d92450a38ff3a21b3422432d7f22c06afd086b8db3076ed3d9082dc0
Message ID: <9305261839.AA05185@Beyond.Dreams.ORG>
Reply To: <9305261329.AA11706@horton.legato.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-26 18:39:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 May 93 11:39:22 PDT

Raw message

From: composer@Beyond.Dreams.ORG (Jeff Kellem)
Date: Wed, 26 May 93 11:39:22 PDT
To: Bob Stratton <strat@intercon.com>
Subject: Re: Just the facts, ma'am.

On the cypherpunks mailing list, Strat wrote...
 > Rarely will you find a system administration staff more concerned with
 > your privacy that the guys at Digital Express Group. As I recall, the
 > set of username->real name mappings isn't even on machine readable media
 > on the system.

Really?  That's odd, especially for a unix box, which access.digex.com
seems to be.  And, as a matter of fact, it does seem to show "Robert
Stratton" for the username of "strat".  So, it seems they do maintain
username to "real name" mappings (even if they allow the user to change
the "real name" listed.

 > When I was working with them, we had a big book, and people only
 > accessed the book when absolutely necessary, for instance to inform a
 > user of a file system problem or the like.
 > This was by design.

As a side note, this sounds like a bad design.. keeping things on paper
for a computer system.  Perhaps, a disconnected computer system.. but,
when you start talking a few thousand users, the paper begins to really
become troublesome for maintaining information on accounts. ;-)

FYI...

			-jeff

Jeff Kellem
Internet: composer@Beyond.Dreams.ORG