1993-05-25 - Re: Say again?

Header Data

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
To: andrew m. boardman <amb@cs.columbia.edu>
Message Hash: 625b0c72535e0ee7aab7b23f0652d20b20fb01a312bec857577bffa9ddfdf665
Message ID: <9305252228.AA06769@crypto.com>
Reply To: <199305252126.AA14245@ground.cs.columbia.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-25 22:44:59 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 May 93 15:44:59 PDT

Raw message

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 15:44:59 PDT
To: andrew m. boardman <amb@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: Say again?

>    Is this hearsay, innuendo or fact? If fact, what can you site as
>    reference to support your statement? If you know this to be fact,
>    please cite your references and provide as much detail as possible.
>
>This was based on a verbal conversation at Interop with someone from
>uunet, from whom the tapes are purchased.  I or they could be
>mis[led|informed|remembering], but if you really care, ask uunet.
>
>andrew

Actually, the most alarming revelation here could be that someone at uunet
is going around casually disclosing information about their customers.
Most communications companies, especially those that seek to be regarded
as "common carriers", make quite clear to their employees that customer data
are among their most proprietary and that revealing any of it is grounds for
lightning-speed dismissal.  (Obviously, they reveal data that they SELL about
their customers, and will disclose anything on a court order, but that's not
what we're talking about here).

-matt (who has signed his share of non-disclosure agreements with big, bad
communications companies)

Thread