1993-05-14 - Re: computer and privacy on all things considered (bay area, 1430, fri)

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: jet@nas.nasa.gov (J. Eric Townsend)
Message Hash: 784a309479942d14c55b512a2eb81dc05affc8bfb9590c81cf680586065b807e
Message ID: <9305142210.AA19678@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 14 May 93 15:10:50 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 14 May 93 15:10:50 PDT
To: jet@nas.nasa.gov (J. Eric Townsend)
Subject: Re: computer and privacy on all things considered (bay area, 1430, fri)

>Fri/1430/Mountain View
>
>just heard NPR/All Things Considered announcement that they're going
>to do a bit on data privacy.  I dunno the freq, right above 88.  (Damn
>analog jam box. :-)
>
>-eric

As soon as I read this (and thankfully the toad.com machine was sending
stuff through in a timely way), I flicked on KQED (San Francisco), where
the NPR report was already underway.

The hacker spokesman was, I think, a "Fred Davis."

An unimpressive interview, in my opinion. Confusing stuff about how if your
computer has "wires going into it, hackers can get in" (paraphrased from
the hacker's comments, not the interviewers).

Perhaps the time allotted was just too short to make any reasonable points.

Those who didn't hear it, didn't miss much.

-Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: by arrangement

Thread