1993-05-03 - [comp.society.privacy fwd] Wiretaps without warrants

Header Data

From: Valerie Lambert <valerie@valis.biocad.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7c056032d78cc9ac2d8e3effde441b3785d5de024197351ebdd0dbed737565d2
Message ID: <9305030115.AA24068@valis.biocad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 2 May 93 18:30:14 PDT

Raw message

From: Valerie Lambert <valerie@valis.biocad.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 93 18:30:14 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [comp.society.privacy fwd] Wiretaps without warrants

I wasn't sure if I should forward this or not...  should I assume that most
every cypherpunk with usenet access keeps an eye on comp.society.privacy?

I found this article surprising; I wasn't even aware that there was any
such bill in Congress.  It seems that the FBI is busy chipping away at
privacy on many fronts.

So, how good is the argument that Clipper keys are held safely in escrow
awaiting a warrant, if no warrant is required to gain a legal wiretap?

Sender:  comp-privacy@pica.army.mil

     Sorry to get this out so late, but better late than never.  It is
from the Boston Sunday Globe of April 11, 1993, page 16.

 -------------------------
New England Votes in Congress

Roll Call Report Syndicate

WASHINGTON - This is how New England members of Congress were recorded
on major roll-call votes last week.

TO EXPAND FBI PHONE ACCESS:

By a vote of 367-6, the House sent the Senate a bill expanding the FBI's
power to obtain, without court warrants, telephone records and
conversations in investigations of international terrorism and
espionage.  The bill grants the FBI access in such investigations to
information on unlisted numbers that phone companies cannot now divulge.
It also enables FBI counterintelligence agents to obtain a broader
range of telephone conversations involving suspected terrorists and
spies.

A yes vote was to pass the bill.

Connecticut: Voting yes: Kennelly, Gejdenson, Shays, Franks, Johnson.
Not voting: DeLauro.

Maine: Voting yes: Andrews, Snowe.

Massachusetts: Voting yes: Neal, Blute, Frank, Meehan, Torkildsen,
Markey, Kennedy, Moakley, Studds.  Not voting: Olver.

New Hampshire: Voting yes: Swett.  Not voting: Zeliff.

Rhode Island: Voting yes: Machtley, Reed.

Vermont: Not voting: Sanders.

----- end forwarded message -----

--
Valerie Lambert * valerie@biocad.com * 415/903-3923 * "The world hates
change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress."  --Charles

Thread