1993-05-26 - Re: DE platform

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7fea8c3887be82bd72d977d83b31efd3dc26d1746d480ba78cb0f6bd25bd7360
Message ID: <9305261953.AA20373@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9305261837.AA13410@wixer>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-26 19:53:57 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 May 93 12:53:57 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 93 12:53:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DE platform

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, "Dolphin Encrypt"
does not use any well examined crypto system -- its something that you
guys, without any cryptography credentials, cooked up. On that basis,
why should we care about it? Most crypto systems that amateurs come up
with are pathetic to say the least, and strong systems, like
triple-DES and IDEA, are widely available.

Perry

meyer says:
> My apologies for not thinking to state what platform Dolphin Encrypt
> currently runs on.  It's vanilla MS-DOS.  Other versions are planned.
>
> The Dolphin Encryption Library (16 or so functions, containing the
> core encryption functions from DE) is also for MS-DOS (designed to
> work with the Microsoft and Borland development systems).  This is all
> standard ANSI C code, so should port to other platforms without much
> problem.  Currently there's a Clipper-oriented (that's the database
> language) version in preparation.  Developers on other platforms
> (Unix, Amiga, etc.) who are interested in porting the library should
> send me email.  I am most interested in contacting someone who can
> not only port the library but also market it.
>
> Porting of the Dolphin Encrypt program is a Stage II task, and depends
> on successful porting of the library.
>
> -- Peter

Thread