1993-05-22 - Re: cypto + compression

Header Data

From: “Ian S. Nelson” <ian@bvsd.Co.EDU>
To: arkuat@joes.garage.com (Eric Watt Forste)
Message Hash: 83a81909990d64d56c2cc42f3daa44d6a7435185f696d21bcdc34ed58c3f4460
Message ID: <199305220046.AA02144@bvsd.Co.EDU>
Reply To: <199305212303.AA21876@joes.GARAGE.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-22 00:47:07 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 21 May 93 17:47:07 PDT

Raw message

From: "Ian S. Nelson" <ian@bvsd.Co.EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 May 93 17:47:07 PDT
To: arkuat@joes.garage.com (Eric Watt Forste)
Subject: Re: cypto + compression

>   OK well if you encrypt a compressed file, there are bound to be lots more
>   new redundencies created in the encryption process
> In fact there are not. You can test this out; use PGP to encrypt any
> file you please, and then use any compression software you like to
> compress it. You will get no significant compression.

Isn't encrypted data supposed to be random, and thus not compressable?
You might be able to creat some redundencies by decrypting it though.

--
Ian S. Nelson			I speak for only myself.
Finger for my PGP key.

Thread