From: “George A. Gleason” <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8888e75ba8bafcf8666e93216ba6597df60a55bbe005cad2272ebdfc8183e085
Message ID: <199305300814.AA05423@well.sf.ca.us>
Raw Date: Sun, 30 May 93 00:36:13 PDT

Raw message

From: "George A. Gleason" <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 30 May 93 00:36:13 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: >>>>>'s

Maybe I'm the only one around here who feels this way, but when I see a
posting which begins with a whole bunch of inanely long quotes from previous
postings, often going so far as to have whole nests of stacked >>>> symbols
in front, I just go, *splat* and ctrl-C, and on to the next.  Like, if we're
reading this stuff regularly, we've got enough of a sense of the flow to be
able to recognise someone's position from an abridged or abbreviated quote.
For example, "Dolphin-crypt... an unexamined system (by analysts outside the
community)..."  does as well to convey the meaning involved, as posting a
huge nest of paragraphs quoted entire.  So in summary, what d' y'all think
of trying to cut down on the swarms of >>>>>>>>>>> lengthy full-paragraph
quotes and replace them with something a bit more compact, eh...?

Thread