1993-05-26 - Re: Just the facts, ma’am.

Header Data

From: jthomas@kolanut.mitre.org (Joe Thomas)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8d909162b32a93f3a574f34459b2d0355244a3a3f1e38b51f4c2593265c54c37
Message ID: <9305261314.AA07134@kolanut>
Raw Date: Wed, 26 May 93 06:15:32 PDT

Raw message

From: jthomas@kolanut.mitre.org (Joe Thomas)
Date: Wed, 26 May 93 06:15:32 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Just the facts, ma'am.

Paul Ferguson <fergp@sytex.com> writes:
> Okay, folks. Let's bring this into focus.
>

> I don't like unfounded allegations, especially when they are involving
> my own communications providers, but let's let the truth be known. I'd
> like to summarize to the list several trains of thought and track this
> down to a reliable source. If, in fact, a UUNet operator/provider has,
> indeed, stated that this has been common practice, I think that it may
> behoove them to own-up to these allegations. Before I do confront the
> UUNet staff, however, I must get the allegations correct, and I
> therefore rely on you crypto-rebels to provide them for me. Please.
>

> [summary deleted]
>

> Thank you for your insights. I will ask UUNet, but I'm beginning to
> wonder if other local comm providers practice the same deceptions.
> Does anyone have any experiences with digex.com that they would like
> to share?

Nothing but good ones.  Doug Humphrey <doug@access.digex.net> even posted to
the list a few times as I recall.  I'm still not sure I see a problem with
someone providing a newsfeed to the NSA, FBI, or anyone else, though.

> [some good stuff elided, but nothing relevant to the following statement:]
> Indeed, we are not speaking of the dissemination of USENet or List
> information, but rather private e-mail.

What?  When did we start speaking of that?  I'd be very interested in hearing
more about this.

Joe

Thread