1993-05-27 - Physical Links

Header Data

From: “Kent Hastings” <kent_hastings@qmail2.aero.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9795f69a61c25efcb808b7236d329d78bfb153fbc96a64b86483cc517cc178ef
Message ID: <199305272315.AA13892@aerospace.aero.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 27 May 93 16:15:55 PDT

Raw message

From: "Kent Hastings" <kent_hastings@qmail2.aero.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 16:15:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Physical Links

                      Physical Links
Public key and other crypto techniques have been discussed here.
So has TEMPEST shielding against eavesdropping. But, there hasn't
been a discussion of physical data link options (unless it was
"before my time").

IMHO, this topic should have a place in the FAQ.

m. Physical Data Links.
   a. Telco/Dial-up
   b. Radio
      1. VLF
      2. MW (near Broadcast AM)
      3. Shortwave
      4. VHF
      5. UHF
      6. Microwave
   c. Infrared/Visible Free Space
   d. Laser/Maser Beam
n. Modulation Techniques.
   a. AM
   b. SSB
   c. ACSSB
   d. FM
   e. SSTV
   f. FSTV
   g. Spread spectrum (hybrids of the following)
      1. FH - frequency hopping
      2. DS - direct sequence
      3. TH - time hopping
      4. TR - transmitted (noise) reference
      5. SR - stored (usually pseudo-noise code) reference
o. Network elements (?)
   1. Wire and cable (underground, disguised)
   2. Point-to-point (radio)
   3. Simple repeaters/linear translators (transponders)
   4. Regenerative repeaters (digital packet)
   5. Satellites
   6. Meteor scatter
   7. Moonbounce
I'd like to see pro and con discussion of these items. Having
encrypted messages won't do any good if Our Enemy simply pulls
the plug at the telephone company.

Kent - kent_hastings@qmail2.aero.org.       #000#

Thread