1993-05-19 - Re: BBSs under fire! (or on fire, if BATF gets into the act!)

Header Data

From: Stanton McCandlish <anton@hydra.unm.edu>
To: judic@sunnyside.com (Judi Clark)
Message Hash: 9917cf4e138fb93b8c3e35d3ba678a3b31d30c35d2b910c6b64df36bd9338ec1
Message ID: <9305191436.AA11807@hydra.unm.edu>
Reply To: <199305191403.AA03433@snyside.sunnyside.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-19 14:37:20 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 May 93 07:37:20 PDT

Raw message

From: Stanton McCandlish <anton@hydra.unm.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 May 93 07:37:20 PDT
To: judic@sunnyside.com (Judi Clark)
Subject: Re: BBSs under fire! (or on fire, if BATF gets into the act!)

> >I'd like to invite discussion, either private or listwise, on: Why is the govt.
> >targetting BBSs?
>
> Welcome to the real, growing, dangerous world, Stanton, where all your fears
> are true.

Doesn't help much. >:)

I just want to know what it is about BBSing that scares the <insert fecal
matter here> out of the govt.  Why are porno, crypto, and <gasp> people saying
what the want to, somehow more threating on BBSs than about 10x as many people
doing the same thing on govt "controlled" <ha ha ha> educational systems?
If the govt really really sees these things as dangerous, would it not be wiser
to take care of the "cancer" in one's own body than worry about the health of
others?  Maybe the govt. is just totally irrational, or something.  Not saying
anyone should put a stop to alt.binaries.pictures.erotica, I could care less
if people like spending inorinate amounts of time uudecoding spotty nudie
pics.  But the whole rationale behind attacking BBSs seems, like I said, ir-
rational...
--
Testes saxi solidi!  **********************   Podex opacus gravedinosus est!
Stanton McCandlish,  SysOp:  Noise in the Void Data Center BBS

Thread