1993-05-29 - Re: forged Sternlight posting?

Header Data

From: dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b0d887d9fad8100ebb4f4e7c6c5255fc903746ca142f106263e9726dfae0ed98
Message ID: <9305281244.AA13343@disvnm2.shearson.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 28 May 93 21:35:12 PDT

Raw message

From: dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl)
Date: Fri, 28 May 93 21:35:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: forged Sternlight posting?

> From: ""L. Detweiler"" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
>
> Apparently someone has forged a Sternlight posting on sci.crypt and
> alt.privacy.clipper. If the author can hear me: you should be severely
> ashamed. I've said before that Sternlight is actually (in a warped way)
> a *resource* to the net because of his representation of the NSA and
> `fuzzy-brained public' opinion. Without him, we'd have nothing but all
> of ourselves in a bland choir.
>
> Cypherpunks, maybe we can help track down the culprit. The forgery says
> `recently, some have called me a dupe'. Perhaps it is an allusion to a
> recent flame war wherein the counterfeiter participated.

I think the forgery was kind of primitive and obvious (OK, I admit I did
get a little chuckle out of it).  But if it wasn't already clear to everyone
that it was a fake, I'm sure Sternlight's and your responses made it clear.

I'm strongly opposed to being cops and "tracking down the culprit."  It was
just an innocent joke, and no one was hurt.  If Sternlight's ego was bruised,
then (as my mom used to say) "my heart bleeds for him."  It's not a big deal.
We've got better things to do than help David Sternlight fight his battles
(though I agree it's useful to have him around).

   --Dave.

Thread