1993-05-14 - Re: Banning Laptops!

Header Data

From: wtap@mindvox.phantom.com (Wire Tap!)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d0bfaab1a6804909ece8ac1963574d800633ca189f6eef16b449f04a28a40710
Message ID: <XeoJ4B1w165w@mindvox.phantom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 14 May 93 07:54:38 PDT

Raw message

From: wtap@mindvox.phantom.com (Wire Tap!)
Date: Fri, 14 May 93 07:54:38 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Banning Laptops!

When I was flying overseas a year ago I was told to keep my paltry laptop
off during takeoff. I questioned why and was told that it causes
instruments only used in takeoff and landing to fluctuate, but it rarely
happened, if at all. So were someone to sneak a flip of the power switch
on a laptop during takeoff, most likely the pilots would never know. But
hey, this IS airplanes we are talking about. Even a little flucuation is
too much for me. Piloting a plane is a precision art, and I would hate to
be the one to throw the wrench in the works.

One of the more interesting things dealing with this is even getting them
on the plane. I had to unpack my carry case, power it up, give the fed
type guy a dir listing (he said he had to see words), pull out the battery
(I suppose to prove it wasn't a really small battery and a stick of
dynamite stuffed in there), etc.
Joking about a bomb when boarding a plane is a federal offense too.

wtap@mindvox.phantom.com
PGP key available upon request.

Thread