1993-05-25 - Re: Say again?

Header Data

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM>
To: fergp@sytex.com (Paul Ferguson)
Message Hash: e816e9ea56470ef13d08c5b5ab3a14bf0b8f723869eceda4be82eadaf72b8863
Message ID: <9305252111.AA08399@dun-dun-noodles.aktis.com>
Reply To: <VgH54B1w165w@sytex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-25 21:11:34 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 May 93 14:11:34 PDT

Raw message

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 14:11:34 PDT
To: fergp@sytex.com (Paul Ferguson)
Subject: Re: Say again?

>>  Is this hearsay, innuendo or fact? If fact, what can you site as
>>  reference to support your statement? If you know this to be fact,
>>  please cite your references and provide as much detail as possible.

Rick Adams of UUNET confirmed on the com-priv list that his
organization had been selling the FBI a usenet feed on tape.  I could
find the exact reference if you want.  I don't know for sure that the
NSA has a feed, or from whom, but it wouldn't surprise me.

However, the obvious next point is, so what?  It's a public system.
Any idiot can pay $20/month and get a public access account.  If you
say something in a news post which you wouldn't want the FBI or NSA or
whoever to see, you're the person who has done something stupid.

Tapping a news feed isn't like tapping a phone line.  It's more like
turning on the television.

		Marc

Thread