1993-05-22 - Re: Consider “Working Assets” phone service instead of AT&T

Header Data

From: George A. Gleason <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
To: zippy@berry.cs.brandeis.edu
Message Hash: e9d16e99508687376a87f90629ec5f5f37a16c382fcb71445d9816b0dd1f42e9
Message ID: <199305220934.AA21970@well.sf.ca.us>
Raw Date: Sat, 22 May 93 02:35:30 PDT

Raw message

From: George A. Gleason <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 22 May 93 02:35:30 PDT
To: zippy@berry.cs.brandeis.edu
Subject: Re:  Consider "Working Assets" phone service instead of AT&T

Yes, Working Assets buys SPRINT in bulk and re-sells it.  The thing is
though, they're getting it wholesale and selling it to the public at regular
prices, so this slices a chunk of Sprint's profits and gives it to WA.
Certainly better than giving the whole chunk to Sprint.  See the thing is,
someone has to run all that fiber all over the continent, and tie into
something else which runs out to the rest of the world.  In the 70s all of
this was being developed, but by now it's pretty much in place and there
probably is no economic basis to develop any new routes.  So you end up with
telephone pyramid scenes where each company is selling someone else's
trunks.  Now I want to get into local competition, and there is probably
room for WA to expand that way.  I may go as far as talking to them about
setting up some exchanges as a joint venture.  Could be interesting.

-gg

Thread