1993-05-05 - Re: ADMIN: Handling of “tags”

Header Data

From: Chris Hibbert <hibbert@memex.com>
To: Nickey MacDonald <i6t4@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca>
Message Hash: f0819b23b89f24b5059baf6040fefb0277e3ba472320596a22874c3c97ad48e3
Message ID: <9305052036.AA13004@entropy.memex.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.05.9305050321.A8396-a100000@jupiter>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-05 20:55:07 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 5 May 93 13:55:07 PDT

Raw message

From: Chris Hibbert <hibbert@memex.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 93 13:55:07 PDT
To: Nickey MacDonald <i6t4@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Handling of "tags"

>>  I'd love to see [...] every cypherpunks message have a "CPUNK:" prepended
>> to the subject [...]

>> I notice that a lot of people reply to messages without editing the
>> subject, and the subject gets "mangled" to "Re: ADMIN: ..." instead of
>> "ADMIN: Re: ..."  Would it be possible to have the redistribution
>> software changed to [fix these?].

My mail reader (Xmh) allows me to sort incoming mail by any header field.  I key
off the "to: cypherpunks" to put this mail in a different box.  The information
you need is already in the header, and I would object to adding more noise to the
beginning of the subject field to obscure the real subject.

On the second point, I agree that the second is better, but my mail sorter is
smart enough to sort "Re: foo" with "foo", so again, no change is necessary.  Is
there any chance you can get access to a more powerful mail reader, rather than
asking everyone to clutter up the headers with redundant info?

Chris

Thread