1993-06-03 - Re: snake oil

Header Data

From: Nickey MacDonald <i6t4@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca>
To: cypherpunks list <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 04b0f535f6f552d8fe8be1ca597291fad134bd6ae9170aa77e9a82c598c9fbdf
Message ID: <Pine.3.05.9306031942.B29415-a100000@jupiter>
Reply To: <9305281652.AA13454@soda.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-03 22:13:25 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 15:13:25 PDT

Raw message

From: Nickey MacDonald <i6t4@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 15:13:25 PDT
To: cypherpunks list <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: snake oil

This raises a question...  I don't think this has been addressed yet (I
am a bit behind in my mail) and might be worthwhile putting in the FAQ...

If I just dreamed up a new gee whiz "new" cypher, should I post it to the
list for comments, or is this frowned on?  (As it happens, I happen to
have what I **think** is a new approach to cyphering, and the answer to this
question will determine wheter anyone hears about it or not...)

Is there a comprehensive list of short "already been done" types of
cyphers?  (Whether failed or "still" succesful.)  A good book?

---
Nick MacDonald               | NMD on IRC
i6t4@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca  | PGP 2.1 Public key available via finger

On Fri, 28 May 1993, Eric Hughes wrote:

> >I, for one, will never use any crypto system for which the algorithm
> >hasn't been extensively published and scrutinized.
>
> I am in total agreement.

Thread