1993-06-01 - Re: Crypto anarchy in a VW? (not the bug)

Header Data

From: Jim McCoy <mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
To: hughes@soda.berkeley.edu (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: 14de6478d3865960cf6d4b346153958bcf0eddeb0622e435ea19eef5db4deeff
Message ID: <199306011955.AA29541@flubber.cc.utexas.edu>
Reply To: <9306011820.AA21028@soda.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-01 19:18:22 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 12:18:22 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim McCoy <mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 12:18:22 PDT
To: hughes@soda.berkeley.edu (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: Crypto anarchy in a VW? (not the bug)

Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu> writes:
[...]
> >Such a system would not be completely secure but would provide some
> >protection for files, which is more than they get now...
>
> The keying material for the disk should not be one key for the whole
> disk.  The keying material could easily be one key per track without
> the keys growing too large.

Actually I was sort of thinking of the keying being done on a per-user
basis.  The user would supply a key (with the pub key kept online and the
private part stored in kernel memory during the user session) that would be
used for thier files and the system key would only be used to provide a
secure channel between the user and the system (user encrypts thier key
pair with the system key and transmits it).  I have several ideas on how to
close up some of the holes on the OS side, but at the moment I am trying to
concentrate on finishing up the details of just the filesystem side so I
can get coding.

Right now I am working on making the system provide security such that the
only way to get at a file is to either have the legitimate user's private
key or to have the system private key and run the system as a sort of
trojan horse collecting keys as users login.  Having the system private key
will not give you any sort of "replay" data (you will not be able to use
the system key to get any past user keys or much of anything else...) and
having the physical hardware without the system private key will give you
nothing at all.

jim

Thread