1993-06-04 - Crypto API (was: Software infrastructure)

Header Data

From: gdale@apple.com (Geoff Dale)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3900ad60fe43e60e834388980bf92068c4649deca84059f5aa67f45228ec2f85
Message ID: <9306042115.AA26274@apple.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 14:15:21 PDT

Raw message

From: gdale@apple.com (Geoff Dale)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 14:15:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto API (was: Software infrastructure)

I was thinking about a crypto project I have on the backburner (actually
it's just in the concept stage), a program to hide encrypted data in raster
image files.

I really don't want to muck with writing or porting an encryption package,
I just want to do the part that sticks the data into the image.

HERE'S THE BEEF:
I think a lot of the various mail readers and what not would be likely to
encorporate encryption, if only it were mind-bogglingly simple.

An API (Application Programming Interface) could be proposed by cypherpunks
or others. The same folks should probably provide at least one encryption
library for use.

It would be nice if this API allowed for multiple encryption schemes (user
selectable), like the way Apple's Communications Toolbox allows users to
switch between various connection protocols.

I'm much too busy to embark on something like this (largely because I'm not
a cypher expert), but if I can help convince somebody to do it, or to
provide feedback on the interface, I'm available.

Geoff Dale    -- insert standard disclaimers here --     gdale@apple.com
"Mind your nerve ends, love bunch" -- Dr. Caligari

Thread