1993-06-25 - SEARCH ME

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <76630.3577@CompuServe.COM>
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 6feeae226fc69c81f102bfe1b3aba370e7dc0669edf0930b4c8ca603c5d551ee
Message ID: <93062519175776630.3577_EHK47-1@CompuServe.COM>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1993-06-25 19:22:17 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 12:22:17 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <76630.3577@CompuServe.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 12:22:17 PDT
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: SEARCH ME

(an12070)

It is rarely to one's advantage to "assist the police."  In fact in
British English the sentence "Fred C. Schwartz is assisting the police
in their investigation" means that Fred C. Schwartz is the prime suspect.

(Trivia contest for ex right wing nuts - Who was Fred C. Schwartz?)

My search warrant story need not use penet.fi.  In the early 80's I was
residing in a rented house in a city located in a region of the country
that was once Democratic Farm Labor Party territory.  Being an inveterate
reader of the newspaper, I was one day surprised to discover that our
house was to be searched by the authorities at some point in the next
few weeks.

Specifically, the article said that the houses on <my> block of <my>
street were going to be searched as part of a survey to determine how
many had illegal basement drains.  Apparently the criminals who had
constructed much of the housing in that neighborhood in the 1920s had
connected basement drains to the *storm sewers* from whence who knows
what hideous substances could drain into the navigable waters of the
United States without undergoing tertiary, secondary, or even primary
treatment.  What's more, they had not complied with the Water Quality
Act of 1970, as amended.  Who could believe that such evil exists in
the human heart.

My wife (who in many ways was just the sort of female Kipling had in
mind when he penned 'Deadlier Than the Male') and I decided to resist
this search.  Since I was away during the day, it would fall to here to
deal with the authorities.  In due course, a sewer inspector rang our
doorbell.  My wife demanded to see his warrant.  He was shocked and
mortified.  He tried to talk her into allowing the search.  He used
primate arguments like "everyone else is letting us in."  My wife used
Northern European arguments like "I'm not everyone else."  He went away.

Over the next few weeks, various bureaucrats called my wife and tried to
get her to change her mind.  They said, "You're not going to force us to
waste all that time and money and get a warrant, are you?"  She
replied, "Consider it a valuable education on the 4th amendment."

Eventually, they showed up with a warrant and some cops just in case we
resisted.  My wife took her time reading the warrant.  It said they
could search the basement so she led them around to the back door and
led them down to the basement where they discovered our criminal drain.

If I hadn't been working 70 hours a week, maybe I would have had fun and
tried to quash (not squash) the warrant and explored the modern case law
involving regulatory searches - a nasty area.

When we told our neighbors what we had done they said that they didn't
know that one could resist a warrantless search.  A good time was had by
all.  Quo warranto?

This was also a town where the public and catholic schools all ended
summer vacation on the same day.  After that day, my youngest daughter
was going about from place to place without apparent lawful occupation
when an officious intermeddler asked her why she wasn't in school.  She
then told her questioner what I had told her to say, "My father doesn't
believe in your schools, he says that they are all dominated by
communists."  Shuts them up every time.

Duncan Frissell

Who is writing this in the terrorist capital of the US - Jersey City,
NJ - but who has been denied a tactically necessary assault rifle by
Governor Jim Florio.

When amonium nitrate and diesel fuel in a 16 to 1 ratio are outlawed
only outlaws (and farmers) will have amonium nitrate and diesel fuel in
a 16 to 1 ratio.

Thread