1993-06-25 - Denning on Clipper review panel

Header Data

From: ““L. Detweiler”” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 78d7b718229d729d5c6c4835fc6def7fe0665db47cf2df1041f07dce2a06c4a6
Message ID: <9306250513.AA09659@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 22:13:14 PDT

Raw message

From: ""L. Detweiler"" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 22:13:14 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Denning on Clipper review panel

Denning says she is on the Clipper review panel which has just started.
Also, noises about international Clipper cooperation from NIST. Finally
the cypherpunk poster's earlier comment about the absurdity of French
collaboration left to the imagination is brought to life...

From: philip@charon.cto.citicorp.com (Philip Gladstone)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt,alt.privacy.clipper
Date: 23 Jun 1993 17:53:19 -0400

>According to Lynn McNulty (of NIST) ...
>
>Also, the civilian review of the Skipjack algorithm has started (on Monday).
>2 people are from academia, and 3 from private industry. One of the DOE
>national labs is represented (but I don't know whether this counts as academia
>or private industry). Dorothy Denning is one member (according to her).
>McNulty wouldn't reveal any names.
>
>Also, McNulty beleives that escrowed keys would be made available to
>foreign law enforcement organizations if requested. The following
>scenario springs to mind:
>
>        French LE to FBI: We have one suspect from the WTC bombing
>                          under surveillance in Paris. He uses a
>                          clipperphone to communicate. Can we have
>                          the keys to chip ID 145632?
>        FBI to French LE: Are you working with the French Secret Service
>                          who is trying to tap the phones of corporate
>                          America?
>        French LE to FBI: NON!
>        FBI to French LE: Do you promise that the chip ID
>                          145632 really is in Paris and is not in the
>                          phone of <fill in favourite US business leader>?
>        French LE to FBI: OUI!
>        FBI to French LE: OK - the key is 0b5e7f186ac85e5fb934.
>
>I'm not trying to pick on the french, but one of the purposes of the
>Clipper (sorry Key Escrow) Chip is to protect against foreign
>commercial espionage.

Thread