1993-06-03 - Re: WH email petition.

Header Data

From: smb@research.att.com
To: “J. Michael Diehl” <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Message Hash: 7cd3ff1a1cd03edd9028f1d0d9605a851deed5c844e6b8d5157629e69ab60cf0
Message ID: <9306031427.AA16225@cygnus.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 08:58:02 PDT

Raw message

From: smb@research.att.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 08:58:02 PDT
To: "J. Michael Diehl" <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Subject: Re: WH email petition.

	 > they've just gotten smarter about how they do it...  Based on my past
	 > experience, your name will be collected -- but just as a person
	 > interested in certain issues, so that you can be solicited for funds
	 > on certain issues.

	 Does this really happen?  WOW!

Does it happen?  Sure did circa 20 years ago, when individual members
of Congress had much less computing capacity.  I wrote to members of
the House Judiciary committee demanding the impeachment of a certain
unindicted co-conspirator.  Over the next few years, I received a
variety of funds solicitation letters, as some of those folks tried
to move on to bigger and better offices.  The letters invariably
spoke of the members' ``bravery and courage of conviction'' during
the Watergate investigation, and noted my interest in that subject...

Thread