1993-06-02 - Re: Software infrastructure

Header Data

From: mmidboe@cs.uah.edu (digital saint) (Computer Science Dept., Univ. of Alabama-Huntsville)
To: hughes@soda.berkeley.edu (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: 97b9d941ea48b359fb531a69c9f3d97a3e1bd55f3430e75efce70f08a609b124
Message ID: <9306021548.AA19002@uahcs2.cs.uah.edu>
Reply To: <9306021446.AA14130@soda.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-02 15:10:54 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 08:10:54 PDT

Raw message

From: mmidboe@cs.uah.edu (digital saint)     (Computer Science Dept., Univ. of Alabama-Huntsville)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 08:10:54 PDT
To: hughes@soda.berkeley.edu (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: Software infrastructure

	If you want the other software developers to pick up encryption then
you had better put it into some kinda kit or TPU. That is the easiest way to
get those other people like Mustang Software to add hooks into their software.
If you distributed some kind of TPU to add onto Async Pro then you just made it
really easy to add encryption onto a couple of BBS packages. If you were to
make a TPU I think you should have the code to handle file encryption and
stream encryption built into it. For Async Pro you could just make up a
send_cipher function that encrypts the data then calls Async Pro's serial send
function. I also think it would be better to come up with some freeware so
people don't have to go buy Async Pro, but that would be a good quick cipher
engine for PC serial IO if you just added onto Async Pro without worrying about
the serial routines for the moment also.

							d. saint

Thread