1993-06-01 - Crypto anarchy in a VW? (not the bug)

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9a0019dab0513bcf9c44238ac95d90c35bf5ce28ca98e1d9556b0b0e2374d547
Message ID: <9306011604.AA16401@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <9305312244.AA20903@malibu.sfu.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-01 15:30:06 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 08:30:06 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 08:30:06 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto anarchy in a VW? (not the bug)

>this
>stirred up an old idea I had about server anonimity, that is that the
>actual physical location of a server would be very difficult to pin
>down...

This presumes a model where the logical server is a single machine.
That doesn't have to be the case.  By using a secret sharing protocol
(M out of N reconstruction), one can multiply site any database, with
sites anywhere in the world.  A database then is in actuality not in
any single place.

>the only way to do this with any real degree of security
>would be to bounce signals off a satellite but this would be rather
>costly...

Cryptography is all economics.  If you are doing something where the
location of a machine must not be revealed, then you've got the money
to pay for a satellite link.  High security means high expense, and
there is no way around that.

Eric

Thread