1993-06-21 - comments on your recent post of FOIAed documents.

Header Data

From: sommerfeld@apollo.hp.com
To: gnu@toad.com
Message Hash: 9d9b69d928436f8939e59b99c5581a2b827576107b3aa3629bb69dfb82dd0ba2
Message ID: <9306212348.AA24641@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Jun 93 16:48:55 PDT

Raw message

From: sommerfeld@apollo.hp.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 93 16:48:55 PDT
To: gnu@toad.com
Subject: comments on your recent post of FOIAed documents.

1) The first document is particularly compelling, especially
considering the apparant references to the censored paragraph in the
un-censored paragraph... it makes it obvious that there are two sets
of reasons for clipper; the ones that they'll admit, and the ones
which are classified and which they won't admit in public.

2) The second document makes it clear that requiring the use of key
escrow is a goal of law enforcement and national security.

3) The dates on the documents are dated after Ms. Denning's infamous
"trial balloon"..

4) From the second document:

> In one recent experiment it took three minutes and
> fourteen seconds to locate a source-code version of DES on the
> INTERNET.

Hmm.  It only took me under minute when I tried it (using the command
"archie -s des.tar").  Maybe they tried it when the archie servers
were overloaded :-), or maybe they counted the time needed to read the
archie man page..

5) What kind of a dork uses words like "incentivized"?

					- Bill

Thread