1993-06-09 - My Poll….

Header Data

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c5032cc3b190152b8ca8f434a6bd67b954fd34eb9c63617e2f106f46a95b0822
Message ID: <9306090653.AA23961@triton.unm.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Jun 93 23:53:47 PDT

Raw message

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 93 23:53:47 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: My Poll....

Well, I finally got to look at the responses to my poll.  FYI, I got 33 replies.
This is a small number considering there are (I think) 400+ people on this list.
I didn't take the time to actually tally the results for each question.  I'm
inherently lazy... ;^)  I can make some comments about what we use, tho.  Note
that the lists are in no particular order.  Since this was certainly not a
scientific poll, I opted to not include any statistics, sorry.  I was kinda
hoping to have a more homogeneous environment than what we have.  Kinda naive,
huh?  Well, this is what I have to say after reading each of your replies.  I
would like to thank everyone who participated in my informal poll.  I hope the
results are usefull to any software-developer-cypherpunks out there.

The systems that we use tended to be (IMHO) hi-end PC's, 386's and better.  Macs
were a close second, with various *nix's forming a large block.  This isn't any
suprise.  The actuall list: PC, NCube, Sun, Mac, IBM RT, IBM RS/6000, DEC/MIPS,
VAX, NeXT, HP 7xx, Cray, SGI Indigo, Amiga.

As for OS's, MSDOS was, again, the clear winner.  It would seem that many people
are going from dos, to one of the various (free) unix's for the PC.  I didn't
know it was so widespread.  The list: MSDOS, BSDI BSD/386, SunOS, A/UX, 4.3BSD,
UNICOS, Ultrix, Linux, MacOS,  HP/UX, NeXTStep, Solaris, AIX, System, IRIX,
AmigaDos, vm, DESQview.

There are more Cypherpunks who refuse to use online services than use them.  Of
those who do use online systems, and I counted bbs's and internet as an online
system, these are the systems we use: The WELL, MCI, Prodigy, Compuserve, GEnie,
AOL, BBSs, netcom, Internet, Fido.

I didn't know there were so many mail readers.....
SLMR, MH, pine, elm, emacs, Cyberdesk, Mush, NeXTMail, NUpop, GRn, QWK, Eudora,
dxmail, LOCALLY DEVELOPED

I was shocked to find that people still use pgp v2.1.  Why?  Also, unix pgp
made a strong showing, considering it probably isn't very secure in that
environment.  The only versions mentioned are: 2.2, 2.1, MacPGP 2.1, unix.  I
know of other versions, tho.

This poll was motivated by all of the talk about writing a secure comm program.
Judging from how many different programs in use now, it will be hard to write
a program which will please everybody.  I also wonder if any of the telix users
find telix to be very much like procomm; I did.  Of the telix users, would you
be interested in helping me test my mail scripts, and perhapse writing
extensions for other mail readers, if needed?  Hope to hear from you.  Anyway,
here is the list of the comm programs which we use: MacSamson,  JComm, Term,
QuickLink II, PPP/SLIP, Seyon, UUPC, Telix, Z-Term, procomm, Kermit, vlt,
White Knight, Eudora, QModemPro, Procomm Plus, Telemate, tapcis.
| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl@triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl@fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+

Thread