1993-06-03 - Solidarity (kudos)

Header Data

From: fergp@sytex.com (Paul Ferguson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: efce5077a4cb56a6c72e63b9c4bec8e1905721721887c97eecb9153ed9cff4fe
Message ID: <qLPk5B1w165w@sytex.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 08:57:43 PDT

Raw message

From: fergp@sytex.com (Paul Ferguson)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 08:57:43 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Solidarity (kudos)

I couldn't resist the opportunity to x-post this to the list,
especially now that it makes me feel foolish for once suspecting
the possibility of foul play at UUNet. My hat is off to Nat and all
the folks at UUNet Technologies who share his views. Kudos.

8<------- Begin Forwarded Message -----------

From: nrh@daimajin.UU.NET (Nat Howard)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.clipper
Subject: another letter to the president
Date: 2 Jun 1993 19:41:01 -0400

Date:    Wed, 02 Jun 1993 12:49:46 EDT
To:      PRESIDENT@WHITEHOUSE.GOV, VICE.PRESIDENT@WHITEHOUSE.GOV

From:    Nat Howard <nrh>
Subject: Clipper initiative of 4/16/93

Sirs,

As a citizen working in the communications field, I am gravely
concerned by the 4/16/93 Clipper Chip initiative.

I believe that the initiative as proposed cannot accomplish its stated
goals, and will, if carried out, be poisonous to American business
attempts to compete in the secure communications field.

Far more important is the apparent denial in the press release of our
First, Second, Fourth, Ninth, and Tenth Amendment rights:
        ... nor is the U.S. saying that "every
     American, as a matter of right, is entitled to an
     unbreakable commercial encryption product."

I urge you to consider these actions instead:

     1. Lift export controls on all cryptographic hardware and software.

     2. Have the NSA work with NIST to produce a publicly-described
        algorithm, suitable for either hardware or software
        implementation, that can serve for the next 15 years as a
        follow-on to DES.

     3. Find some fair and legal way so that all US Citizens can use,
        royalty-free and without other restriction,
        the public-key algorithms now patented by PKP.

A lot of us have hopes for the human rights aspect of the Clinton-Gore
ticket. Please don't let us down: withdraw, abandon, or greatly modify
the Clipper Chip initiative.

I emphasize that I speak here as a private citizen, and my remarks
don't necessarily reflect the feelings of UUNET.

8<------- End of Forwarded Message ---------

Paul Ferguson               |  The future is now.
Network Integrator          |  History will tell the tale;
Centreville, Virginia USA   |  We must endure and struggle
fergp@sytex.com             |  to shape it.

          Stop the Wiretap (Clipper/Capstone) Chip.

Thread