1993-07-30 - best way to check for modification of self

Header Data

From: klaus@mail.lds.loral.com (Christopher Klaus)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 066c64914598eb5dd80d237f49f27d90daf1a11123b22ce3553c0801664ed576
Message ID: <9307301223.AA15123@mail.lds.loral.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 30 Jul 93 05:24:45 PDT

Raw message

From: klaus@mail.lds.loral.com (Christopher Klaus)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 93 05:24:45 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: best way to check for modification of self

I am looking for C src or algorithms that would be useful for a program
to check its own integrity and make sure it hasnt been modified.

Looking at the filesize of the file would not help, since I want to make
sure no one has modified just some text, etc.  I would like the algorithm
or code to be rather quick in doing the check in the initialization of
the program.  Would finding the src to CRC or sum and adding that into the
program be the best solution?

Has anyone else dealt with this?

--
Christopher Klaus