1993-07-21 - Re: ANON: remail abuse

Header Data

From: cdodhner@indirect.com (Christian D. Odhner)
To: elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU (Karl Barrus)
Message Hash: 0cd6c8dfc267e3a246a9ec9dc57d5198e2bae2a501ef25e1a0e826be76d260f5
Message ID: <9307212036.AA17170@indirect.com>
Reply To: <199307211508.AA17766@Menudo.UH.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-21 20:39:44 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Jul 93 13:39:44 PDT

Raw message

From: cdodhner@indirect.com (Christian D. Odhner)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 93 13:39:44 PDT
To: elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU (Karl Barrus)
Subject: Re: ANON: remail abuse

> I guess I'm one of those people who would get upset and blame the person
> responsible for the action instead of software and/or technological
> advancement for possible providing a means.

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I also am blameing the
person, not the technology, and I am merely worried about the response
people may use if this becomes more commonplace.

> As Peter mentioned, payphones are already perfect for harrassment.  So
> is junk mail... and the crucial thing here is these services cost money.
> I'm sure future remailers will incorporate digital cash and be a
> pay-for-each-remail service.

I'm sure that would be a big help, although I'm not literate enough yet in
the area of digital cash to understand how this would work.

> Chris also mentions concers about distributing porn and stuff like that
> through remailers.  I guess this could be done, but why give up the

I'm not concerned in particular with porn etc, that just happens to be the
problem in this instance.

> | Karl L. Barrus                    |
> | elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu             | <- preferred address
> | barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu (NeXTMail) |