1993-07-03 - “Wired” has more than one cover–why?

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 293b05ee44e657066d6548b087004d402c772859cdad4e0e7102a1e7070fbc3e
Message ID: <9307031948.AA04165@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Jul 93 12:48:06 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 93 12:48:06 PDT
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "Wired" has more than one cover--why?

I noticed that some copies of the latest "Wired" have Peter Gabriel on the
cover and others have Mitch Kapor on the cover. What gives?

Some sort of experiment? A novel way to gauge reader reaction to the
covers? A lawsuit that forced a change in the covers?

Esthetics? (My issue, with Peter Gabriel on the cover, is much artier,
though harder to figure out, than the relatively mundane image of Kapor.)

(Peter Gabriel, being a musician, may be said to be doing "a cover of a
piece by Mitch Kapor.")

Is Crunch on another set of covers?

Did the issue with some of us Cypherpunks on the cover merely represent one
of _several_ versions of the cover? (I envision the "Crypto Rebels" covers
going to the Bay Area, the "Dish-Wallahs" covers going overseas, and the
"Brenda Laurel" covers going directly to "Mondo 2000" headquarters in
Berkeley.)

-Tim May

P.S. The issue of "Wired" is superb, as always.

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: by arrangement
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.

Thread