1993-07-23 - Re: more on FBI credit search access

Header Data

From: Dave Banisar <cpsr@access.digex.net>
To: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Message Hash: 335a839a47e01efe3bf0a7c387c782e9d1495b2da61cb956739b3c53eabbf706
Message ID: <Pine.3.07.9307222350.A22377-a100000@access.digex.net>
Reply To: <9307212319.AA04464@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-23 03:15:15 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 20:15:15 PDT

Raw message

From: Dave Banisar <cpsr@access.digex.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 20:15:15 PDT
To: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: more on FBI credit search access

Sheri is unfortunally mistaken on this issue. There is a pending legislative
initiative to allow for easier access to credit records using a national
security letter, instead of a warrant. It was approved by the Senate
Intelligence Committee last week. This is different from HR175, the
initiative to allow for easier access to toll records that the house
approved a few months ago.

 The ACLU, CPSR, PIRG and the US Privacy Council wrote a letter to Sen.
Deconcini opposing the provision last week that I will send up tomorrow
along with the text of the bill, if I can find it in time.

Dave

Thread