1993-07-09 - Re: encrypted email software

Header Data

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
To: rtannen@borland.com (Bob Tannen)
Message Hash: 4740b1092effbfb2774ebc2ab02404e5d5c531e749656ea6acc738a01af35681
Message ID: <9307091925.AA04151@toad.com>
Reply To: <m0oEK3u-0004nPC@genghis.borland.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-09 19:25:19 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Jul 93 12:25:19 PDT

Raw message

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 93 12:25:19 PDT
To: rtannen@borland.com (Bob Tannen)
Subject: Re: encrypted email software

> > DES isnt secure?  And where was it that you got this precious
> > little piece of information?
> >
> You mean to tell me you believe what your government tells you about DES?
> Come on now!  It's been public knowledge for quite some time that the NSA
> has a backdoor to DES and the FBI and other agencys know it.

Its public knowledge?
were's the proof?
Not one academic researcher has found it (and lived to publish
about it).
On the other hand some very respectable cryptographers have
been able to show that the design critereon has made for
very well chosen parameters.

The FBI has shown that they dont know a backdoor in DES or at least
they wont use it against suspects.  There have been cases were
data was encrypted with DES and the suspect refused to turn over
the keys.

> I certainly hope you were kidding!
>
> --
> Bob Tannen