1993-07-24 - POLITICS: Cutting off coin payphone services

Header Data

From: hugh@toad.com (Hugh Daniel)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 60dad29a68942be69ce11b02eb048e4ef36ed13968effa4b0ed0b4c24d013ebb
Message ID: <9307242301.AA27582@ecotone.toad.com>
Reply To: <93Jul23.022610pdt.14662-1@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-24 23:04:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Jul 93 16:04:23 PDT

Raw message

From: hugh@toad.com (Hugh Daniel)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 93 16:04:23 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: POLITICS: Cutting off coin payphone services

  I ran into one that boiled by blood over a year ago.  I was on the
north side of Chicago having just gotten off the L, and walked about
a block to find a payphone to call the friends I was visiting to have
them pick me up.
  I had problems dialing, the phone seemed broken and would not dial
right, even when I used more then enough money.  I decided to report
the problem to the operator (and hopefully get my call thorough).  She
told me that the phone was not broken, but was in an area that was
not allowed to make coin calls from 7pm to something like 8am!  I was
welcome to make phone card or collect calls if I wished.  Right.
  You can be sure that I did not do any biz with that phone company
again if I could avoid it!  Hard though, as it was Illinois Bell.
  This is in no way the worst part of Chicago, the area around the
L is a bit grungy, but within blocks there are lots-o-YUPPIES.
  I wonder if this could be used against anonymity on the nets?
Maybe this is something that should be fought in the courts now so
as not to set bad presidents(sp?) for anonymity in general.

		||ugh Daniel
		<hugh@toad.com>

Thread