1993-07-02 - Re: PGP and offline-readers

Header Data

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
To: mdiehl@triton.unm.edu (J. Michael Diehl)
Message Hash: 75e74b97c1c614fe5173a2e357145aa16c352496b30158ac1d65d1e62fdc3b93
Message ID: <9307021824.AA00266@toad.com>
Reply To: <9307020453.AA23579@triton.unm.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-02 18:24:10 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Jul 93 11:24:10 PDT

Raw message

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 93 11:24:10 PDT
To: mdiehl@triton.unm.edu (J. Michael Diehl)
Subject: Re: PGP and offline-readers

  I think a good idea for offline readers would be to build ontop of
currently implemented protocols.  One protocol worth mentioning is
IMAP2.  Right now IMAP2 usually runs over TCP but there is no reason
why it couldn't run over a serial channel instead (SIMAP :)
It allows for remote access to mailboxes from a mail server, and also
remote access to builitin-board messages (ie. USENET).  There are
several packages in development or already in use that use IMAP.
PINE for unix's and soon to be available for DOS machines supports
IMAP access.  PINE also supports MIME and could be extended nicely
to handle automatic PGP encryption/decryption of mail (or en/de-
cryption with other crypto-systems).  Macintosh already has a mailer
supporting IMAP, the name eludes me at the moment.   The mailers
in existence are written for TCP and would have to be modified for
use over the serial line, perhaps with a pseudo-packet driver in
the dos case.  I think this type of solution would be much cheaper
and much more feature filled than starting from scratch.

                              Tim N.

Thread