1993-07-08 - Test. Sorry.

Header Data

From: nobody@cicada.berkeley.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ac04e4640555567927f467de4d5afae4e90b93aa67f31e589cd89cb72d84742e
Message ID: <9307081541.AA12054@cicada.berkeley.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Jul 93 08:41:47 PDT

Raw message

From: nobody@cicada.berkeley.edu
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 93 08:41:47 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Test.  Sorry.

This is a test.  Apologies for wasted bandwidth.

AA01851; Thu, 8 Jul 93 11:40:10 EDT
To: Rachel Beth Goldstein <rbg@panix.com>
Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: text p.d. cryptosystems for email
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1993 11:40:08 -0400
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>

Rachel Beth Goldstein says:

> this is probably a faq, but pardon me, since this is my first mail to
> the cypherpunks list.  the problem is this: i once worked for a
> (nameless) finance company that had pseudo-wizard-dorkos for sa's, and
> a gravitationally-challenged boss that routinely read employees' (ie.
> *my*) personal email.  i knew this because he asked me specific
> questions regading the email subjects.  both he and the dorkos
> relished this ability and probably got some power trip from it.

This is likely a violation of federal law, but never mind that.

> however, friends told me that (1) crypt is easily compromised, and
> (2) not all unix sites have crypt available anyway.  are there
> text-based alternates to crypt, such that i don't have to use
> uuencode or btoa to mail encrypted text?

What you want is PGP. Doubtless someone out there is likely to tell
you more about it...

Perry

Thread