1993-07-02 - Re: PGP and offline-readers

Header Data

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
To: still@kailua.colorado.edu (James Still)
Message Hash: c523d641ed65386fd091d76921468f4e2d6ae587ba613176ccfc6868390177a1
Message ID: <9307020453.AA23579@triton.unm.edu>
Reply To: <2C31A670@kailua.colorado.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-02 04:53:25 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 21:53:25 PDT

Raw message

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 21:53:25 PDT
To: still@kailua.colorado.edu (James Still)
Subject: Re: PGP and offline-readers

According to James Still:

> >> I am getting involved in networking some local BBS' and
> >> message bases.
>
> The unique feature about CryptoBBS is it's "Post Office."  The
> P.O. allows callers to set up a p.o. box from which they can
> up/download any file (pgp encrypted files for instance) to any
> other user on the board without the sysop's approval/knowledge.
> It encourages and nurtures an anonymous "mail drop" community
> while protecting the caller's privacy.

Be carefull!  Remember that you may be held accountable for ANYTHING found on
your BBS.  If someone uses your board to trade credit card numbers..... See ya!

> The question is, should I throw away the virtues of a lean 'n mean
> app at 80K by adding a dolphin or pgp to it that automatically
> encrypts the message base, uploaded messages, etc?  Should
> we give the BBS caller a little credit and assume he knows to
> encrypt at his own machine before uploading the text?  Or is
> the temptation to make everyone *lick and seal their message
> envelopes* too invasive?

Typically, you want to assume that user knows NOTHING!  You design your user-
interface accordingly.....  I know it sounds insulting but if this attitude
makes your stuff easier to use....what do you care?

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl@triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl@fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+

Thread