1993-07-20 - Re: PGP tutorial

Header Data

From: Paco Xander Nathan <pacoid@wixer.bga.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d703aae1b33427959f609903b30797c898d3166861c1f740b7e8b5b968fb5b19
Message ID: <9307200548.AA07956@wixer>
Reply To: <m0oGeZw-000ZDJC@genesis.mcs.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-20 06:14:11 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Jul 93 23:14:11 PDT

Raw message

From: Paco Xander Nathan <pacoid@wixer.bga.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 93 23:14:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGP tutorial

> In message <9307151349.AA05001@snark.shearson.com>, "Perry E. Metzger":
> > Rather than pointing people to strange publications we've never heard
> > of written by authors without credentials, might I suggest...
> >
> 	Excellent comments, Perry, yes, but *I* have heard of Fringeware,
> so maybe I'll throw some of my comments about Paco, as an "author
> without credentials." (Not that I'm a cypherpunk with credentials or
> anything. =)
> 	Fringeware is a 'zine which Paco Xander Nathan publishes, and while
> he's no cypherpunk, he's an intelligent guy, so I'm pretty sure his
> article would be a good one.
> Sameer Parekh-zane@genesis.MCS.COM-PFA related mail to pfa@genesis.MCS.COM

Thank you kindly Sameer!!

I'm pleased to find a ref to FWR#1 here, in a bibliography no less :)  I'll
add a plug that our new magazine is in int'l distribution, ISSN 1069-5656.

The tutorial was written as a practical intro for people who would *not*
be comfortable reading this list, but who would probably read the PGP docs
anyway.  The premier issue includes an article about Cypherpunks from my
interview/stay/club-hopping with Eric Hughes back in Sep 92, along with a
tutorial on how to join interesting email lists, such as this one.  LERI-L's
cofounder Scotto adds philosophical insights about the Net, virtual
communities and lists in general, plus Tom Jennings favored us with
beautific wisdoms on a predominantly cypherpunk theme.

Whether I am a "cypherpunk" or not is as always debatable, but to assuage
your fears Perry, I've been on this list nearly a year, posting occasionally.
Creditials?  I have degrees in Math & CompSci from Stanford, +20 years
programming experience including a lot of Unix & comm work for Bell Labs,
and my writing appears in Mondo 2000, WiReD, 2600, bOING-bOING, Pix-Elation,
WER, etc..  some of which, to relative extents, appear to hold value within
the context of this list. (tongue placed firmly in cheek)  Those of you who
actually read 'em may have noticed my bent for going mano-a-mano in court
and on the streets against distopian organizations such as the Secret
Service, the DEA's droids and a particular multinational telecom giant
which shall go unmentioned.

FWR is jointly published with my biz partner Jon Lebkowsky, who shares
a similar trail of magazine gigs, along with fame as illuminary/host/
gopher editor on the WELL and president of EFF-Austin..  We run a popular
Interent email list, fringeware@wixer.bga.com

Hopefully, knowing these tidbits, we can all rest easier at night, assured
that the hallowed trust of PGP has not been tainted by an unsocialized
and heathen publication.  NB: Perry, we're *TICKLED* silly that you refered
to us as "strange"; may we consider this as "letter to the editor" material?
BTW, we'd been waiting eagerly..  FWR staff had decided to just shush and
wait for SOME kind of mention/review to pop up here, eventually :)

Thank you.

pxn.
----
PS: even our firm's *lawyer* participates in this list:
strange.. credentials.. geez!  :)

Thread