1993-07-21 - Re: subliminal messages

Header Data

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: de71916b2717dfe19f739625d350e475e48826e0dd0b225dbf2d68549bb90159
Message ID: <9307211953.AA16773@toad.com>
Reply To: <9307210117.AA05181@snark.shearson.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-21 19:54:42 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Jul 93 12:54:42 PDT

Raw message

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 93 12:54:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: subliminal messages

> A very good posting, Karl, but I will note in the literature these are
> called "covert" channels, not "subliminal" channels.

Covert channels are signaling techniques which bypass secrecy
classification, right?  e.g. twiddling with free disk and other
system parameters.  Passing messages in digital signatures, which
I've always seen called "subliminal channels", could of course be
used as a covert channel if the OS permits signatures on material
accessible to lower-classification folk.

> Perry

   Eli   ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu

Thread