1993-07-24 - Re: Remailers/PayPhones and Today’s NYT

Header Data

From: geoffw@nexsys.net (Geoff White)
To: shipley@merde.dis.org
Message Hash: e35a7d84188a46007e0d3b54a0b303ef845bc7eddecef842db4723406847b189
Message ID: <9307241600.AA00619@nexsys.nexsys.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Jul 93 15:17:39 PDT

Raw message

From: geoffw@nexsys.net (Geoff White)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 93 15:17:39 PDT
To: shipley@merde.dis.org
Subject: Re: Remailers/PayPhones and Today's NYT

> How about a valid debate being over **how** to best provide universal
> service in this day & age of red-lining?  Interesting to note that when the
> private entrepreneurs open up U.S. versions of the traditional European
> "Call Offices," (rows of payphones with a window clerk or other attendant to
> help provide service & security), all of a sudden a chorus of voices go up,
> "OH NO, the Dope Dealers will use these things!"  Well, one excuse or
> another, same old racist BS either way.  The right to anonymity has got to
> be universal, and the right to access has got to be universal, or these
> things become mere privileges which can be taken away on a whim.
>
> -gg

So what if some small time drug dealers are using them.  One thing is for sure,
the Big Time drug dealers, (the ones with the ships, planes, and enough money
to finance the transport of tons of contraband) do not, and will not be using
them.  As far as dening payphone service in "high crime" (read black areas),
well the information kiosk would tend to solve the problem of vandalism, so
what's the big deal?  An for all you supposed libertarian types, I'm sure there
is some enterprising person or family who will be willing to take the
perceived risks with operating such an establishment to get the potential
financial reward.

Thread