1993-07-04 - Re: Ad Hominum attacks (was Re: PC Week Clipper article

Header Data

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
To: erc@apple.com
Message Hash: ee9601487f0c407c187d9d8e8e2bbb051e0d335efeea8daa9058a36736caafa4
Message ID: <9307040345.AA27592@triton.unm.edu>
Reply To: <m0oCG4g-00022SC@khijol>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-04 03:46:48 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Jul 93 20:46:48 PDT

Raw message

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 93 20:46:48 PDT
To: erc@apple.com
Subject: Re: Ad Hominum attacks (was Re: PC Week Clipper article

According to Ed Carp:

> I was the one who called Denning a "fucking idiot".  Perhaps I should have
> said "fucking naive idiot" and been more specific, because while it might

Well, I read the post, too, and I thought it was funny!  Obviously not meant to
be informative.  I feel that people such as DD and LEA-mongers are @#$%ing
idiots.  And in a free forum, I should be able to say so.  This is kinda what
Cypherpunks stand for, IMHO.

> The first rule of most martial arts, as the first rule of combat, is "never
> underestimate your opponent".  However irresponsible I may think Dorothy
> Denning, Jim Bidzos, or David Sternlight are, I don't underestimate them.
> If any one of those three (or anyone else, for that matter) has something to
> say, I will listen and judge it on its own merits.

And the second rule of most martial arts is, "Never get hit."  In light of all
of the LEA's trying to "hit" us, this is something to think about.

Just my $.02.  Laters.

+-----------------------+-----------------------------+---------+
| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl@triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl@fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
| (505) 299-2282        +-----------------------------+---------+
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+

> --
> Ed Carp			erc@apple.com, erc@saturn.upl.com	510/659-9560
>    For anonymous mailers -->   anonymus+5300@charcoal.com
> "I've met many thinkers and many cats, but the wisdom of cats is infinitely
>  superior."      -- Hippolyte Taine  (1828-1893)

Thread