1993-07-09 - Re: encrypted email software

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Message Hash: f335918c0cbf824645dfbab3774e6adf413b32b95afaf04ccc54b5172516b12e
Message ID: <9307091941.AA00142@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9307091925.AA04151@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-09 19:43:35 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Jul 93 12:43:35 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 93 12:43:35 PDT
To: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Subject: Re: encrypted email software

Timothy Newsham says:

> > > DES isnt secure?  And where was it that you got this precious
> > > little piece of information?
> > >
> > You mean to tell me you believe what your government tells you about DES?
> > Come on now!  It's been public knowledge for quite some time that the NSA
> > has a backdoor to DES and the FBI and other agencys know it.
>
> Its public knowledge?
> were's the proof?
> Not one academic researcher has found it (and lived to publish
> about it).

100% correct. Although DES is likely breakable by brute force, that
can only be done at tremendous expense. The back door notion, although
still possible, is now not believed to be true.

Perry

Thread