1993-08-26 - Re: “more money than brains?”

Header Data

From: jet@netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 122784ac3db25084170f56f3742e0080708fc6acc6573c9ffe29064222570630
Message ID: <9308260720.AA26178@netcom4.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9308260048.AA12637@netcom4.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-26 07:22:21 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 00:22:21 PDT

Raw message

From: jet@netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 00:22:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "more money than brains?"

M. Stirner:
> Only one question:  WHY?  If PGP is freeware for noncommercial single
> users, why on earth would anyone wish to drop $100 +/- for single-user
> rights to a virtually identical program?

Well, I've had dealings with a couple of business clients who refuse
to use freeware PGP it because of 'the shaky legal ground'.  We
explained that as a government agency, we can use PGP legally, and
because (in each case) the business already had rights to use RSA for
their own purposes, there was no problem.  They said if they could buy
it, that'd make it a lot easier to use.  (These same businesses refuse
to distribute FSF/GNU code for similarly vague legal reasons.)

Thread